Academic advising at PolyU aims to help students to make informed and intelligent academic decisions/choices about their study at PolyU that suit their intellectual, professional and personal goals. It is instrumental to promoting student success, and plays a vital role in enhancing students’ overall learning experience at PolyU.
To empower you to fulfil the General University Requirements (GUR) and the Discipline Specific Requirements (DSR), there are two systems of academic advising at PolyU - department-based academic advising (primarily for broad discipline and major program matters) and academic advising at the institutional level operated by the Office of General University Requirements (OGUR – primarily for matters related to the GUR).
Academic Advising in LMS
Students of BBA (Hons) in Aviation Management and Logistics, BBA (Hons) in Global Supply Chain Management, and BBA (Hons) in International Shipping and Transport Logistics programmes will be assigned to one academic advisor from LMS to provide students advice on their Major study and Minor/Free Elective choices.
Academic Advisors will:
- Help students to clarify their intellectual, professional and personal goals
- Help students to develop an appropriate study plan
- Advise students according to academic regulations, graduation requirements, particularly those relating to the Major programmes
Each student is expected to have an individual face-to-face meeting with his/her academic advisor at the beginning of each academic year to discuss his/her study plan. Additional individual or small-group meetings with his/her academic advisor can be made if necessary. Students may also consult their academic advisors via email or other means from time to time.
Undergraduate Secretary of LMS will also provide you with the updated information regarding policies, regulations and procedures on your academic study.
Roles and Responsibilities of Academic Advisees
As an academic advisee, the followings would enable you to maximize your gain from academic advising:
- Take personal responsibility for your academic decisions, plans and outcomes.
- Become familiar with the academic advising policies, resources and infrastructure at PolyU.
- Understand your Major/Minor requirements and the General University Requirements and monitor your progress with reference to the graduation requirements.
- Develop a study plan which enables you to complete your undergraduate degree at PolyU.
- Attend academic advising sessions offered by the Department/Faculty and the Office of General University Requirements.
- Be prepared for academic advising. Understand your academic progress before meeting your Academic Advisor.
- If you have any questions regarding your academic study, you should raise them at the academic advising meetings.
- Have an open mind and be ready to seriously consider advice given by teachers, Academic Advisors and other staff.
- Read the e-mails and letters sent to you by your Academic Advisor in your Department/Faculty and OGUR Academic Counsellor.
- Visit the Departmental academic advising website and the OGUR website at least once a semester for updates and new information.
- Seek help as early as possible. It is a sign of courage.
- Enjoy your academic advising experience at PolyU.
More details on the Academic Advising as well as other General University Requirements, you may visit OGUR's website at https://www.polyu.edu.hk/ogur/.